IN THIS CHAPTER, YOU WILL LEARN
- To use string instructions for various applications.
- The concept and use of procedures and call instructions.
- To distinguish macros from procedures and learn to write and use macros.
- To write programs to convert between the commonly used number formats.
- Signed number arithmetic using 8086 instructions.
- To write programs using the high level language constructs of MASM.
4.1 | String Instructions
The 8086 has a set of instructions for handling blocks of data in the form of bytes or words. They are called ‘string’ instructions. A string is an array of data of the same type – for example, a character string or a byte string. Table 4.1 gives the list of string instructions/prefixes ...