49. How Do I Get People to Like My Facebook Page?
Mari Smith from the Social Media Examiner is probably one the smartest Facebook “ninjas” out there. She has compiled hundreds of tips and tricks on the subject of getting people to like a Facebook Page. The first thing she points out is that many people think that after they create a page they should invite all their personal Facebook friends to the page, using the “Suggest to Friends” feature. She points out this is actually not an effective thing to do because of the following:
- Many people complain that after they decline a request from a friend, they get asked again and again, finding it irritating.
- Facebook users can like only up to 500 pages and might want to be selective.
- Page suggestions often build up, unnoticed.
- To aggressively pursue all your friends to join your page, for no apparent incentive, is counterintuitive to the nature of social media.
Some of her most creative tips, examples, and great insights include:
- Embed widgets on your website—Select from a number of the new Facebook social plugins and place them on your website and blog. The Like Box widget works well to display your current Page stream and a selection of fans. Mari Smith recommends adding a title above the box encouraging visitors to your site/blog to click the “Like” button (which makes them a Facebook fan).
- Invite your email and ezine subscribers ...