Book DescriptionWhat Is Thinking?
What is Turing's Test? What is Gödel's Undecidability Theorem? How is Berners-Lee's Semantic Web logic going to overcome paradoxes and complexity to produce machine processing on the Web?
Thinking on the Web draws from the contributions of Tim Berners-Lee (What is solvable on the Web?), Kurt Gödel (What is decidable?), and Alan Turing (What is machine intelligence?) to evaluate how much "intelligence" can be projected onto the Web.
The authors offer both abstract and practical perspectives to delineate the opportunities and challenges of a "smarter" Web through a threaded series of vignettes and a thorough review of Semantic Web development.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Who This Book Is For
- The Organization of This Book
- Associated Resources
Part I: What Is Web Intelligence?
- Chapter 1. Empowering the Information Age
- Chapter 2. Gödel: What Is Decidable?
Chapter 3. Turing: What Is Machine Intelligence?
- What Is Machine Intelligence?
- Alan Turing
- Turing’s Test and the Loebner Prize
- John Searle’s Chinese Room
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Intelligence
- Semantic Networks and Frames
- Reasoning with Semantic Networks
- Computational Complexity
- Description Logic (DL)
- Inference Engines
- Software Agents
- Adaptive Software
- Limitations and Capabilities
- Interlude #3: Computing Machines
- Chapter 4. Berners-Lee: What Is Solvable?
Part II: Web Ontology and Logic
- Chapter 5. Resource Description Framework (RDF)
- Chapter 6. Web Ontology Language (OWL)
- Chapter 7. Ontology Engineering
- Chapter 8. Logic, Rules, and Inference
- Chapter 9. Semantic Web Rule Language (SWRL)
- Chapter 10. Semantic Web Applications
- Chapter 11. Web Ontology Language for Services (OWL-S)
- Chapter 12. Semantic Search Technology
- Chapter 13. Semantic Patterns and Adaptive Software
- Chapter 14. Semantic Tools
- Chapter 15. Challenges and Opportunities
- Title: Thinking on the Web: Berners-Lee, Gödel and Turing
- Release date: November 2008
- Publisher(s): Wiley-Interscience
- ISBN: 9780471768661