Many analysts are too concerned with tools and techniques for cleansing, modeling, and visualizing datasets and not concerned enough with asking the right questions. In this practical guide, data strategy consultant Max Shron shows you how to put the why before the how, through an often-overlooked set of analytical skills.
Thinking with Data helps you learn techniques for turning data into knowledge you can use. You’ll learn a framework for defining your project, including the data you want to collect, and how you intend to approach, organize, and analyze the results. You’ll also learn patterns of reasoning that will help you unveil the real problem that needs to be solved.
- Learn a framework for scoping data projects
- Understand how to pin down the details of an idea, receive feedback, and begin prototyping
- Use the tools of arguments to ask good questions, build projects in stages, and communicate results
- Explore data-specific patterns of reasoning and learn how to build more useful arguments
- Delve into causal reasoning and learn how it permeates data work
- Put everything together, using extended examples to see the method of full problem thinking in action
Table of contents
- Praise for Thinking with Data
- 1. Scoping: Why Before How
- 2. What Next?
- 3. Arguments
- 4. Patterns of Reasoning
- 5. Causality
- 6. Putting It All Together
- A. Further Reading
- Title: Thinking with Data
- Release date: January 2014
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781449362935
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
The Pragmatic Programmer: your journey to mastery, 20th Anniversary Edition, 2nd Edition
"One of the most significant books in my life." —Obie Fernandez, Author, The Rails Way "Twenty …
Analytical Skills for AI and Data Science
While several market-leading companies have successfully transformed their business models by following data- and AI-driven paths, …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …