Beyond incident response and threat intelligence operations, threat hunting can provide an extra layer of defense for your company’s network. In many organizations, security analysts initiate threat hunting when they spot something weird—network conditions or activity not easily explained—in an effort to catch subtle, more deeply embedded attackers. With this practical ebook, you’ll explore how this method works and learn how to stage an effective threat hunting program and evaluate the results.
Author Michael Collins, chief scientist for the network security and data analysis company RedJack in Washington, DC, explains why threat hunting is an ideal support for your existing security operations center. With both architecture and attacks constantly changing, proactive threat hunting will help security analysts and security managers discover how your company’s assets really work.
- Learn about the process, goals, and benefits of threat hunting
- Examine your organization’s readiness for threat hunting, including the resources, data, and personnel you need
- Delve into the process using a typical threat hunting workflow
- Get a brief encyclopedia of threat hunting techniques, including core concepts and situational awareness
- Explore resources for additional threat hunting strategies and techniques
Table of contents
- An Introduction to Threat Hunting
- 1. Threat Hunting and Its Goals
- 2. Should You Hunt?
- 3. A Hunting Process
4. A Dictionary of Threat Hunting Techniques
- Core Concepts
- Basic Techniques
- Watchlist Refinement: Indicators and Signatures
- Techniques for Discovering Indicators
- Data Analysis and Aggregation Techniques
- Visualization Techniques
- 5. References and Further Reading
- Title: Threat Hunting
- Release date: May 2018
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492028253
You might also like
Cybersecurity Blue Team Toolkit
A practical handbook to cybersecurity for both tech and non-tech professionals As reports of major data …
Practical Malware Analysis
For those who want to stay ahead of the latest malware, Practical Malware Analysis will teach …
The Art of Memory Forensics: Detecting Malware and Threats in Windows, Linux, and Mac Memory
Memory forensics provides cutting edge technology to help investigate digital attacks Memory forensics is the art …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …