In light of our understanding of the competitive playing field from earlier chapters, we can now reexamine six conventional upstream assumptions and develop new competitive strategies.
- To win against competitors, you must have the better product.
- Competitive advantage is gained by listening to customers and giving them what they want.
- You can’t choose your competitors.
- Innovation means better products and technology.
- Technological improvements drive the pace and evolution of markets.
- Competitive advantage gained in the marketplace is “just marketing.”
The Better Product Wins?
The first myth is that to win against competitors, you must have the better product. The assumption behind this myth appears ...