The goal of this chapter is to help you select the right switching and routing protocols for your network design customer. The selections you make will depend on your customer’s business and technical goals. To help you select the right protocols for your customer, this chapter covers the following attributes of switching and routing protocols:
• Network traffic characteristics
• Bandwidth, memory, and CPU usage
• The approximate number of peer routers or switches supported
• The capability to quickly adapt to changes in an internetwork
• The capability to authenticate route updates for security reasons
At this point in the network design process, you have created a network design topology ...