London has been a world leader in finance, journalism, trade, the arts, and government for ages, but you don’t hear much about computer technology. With this report, you’ll learn that—while London is no Silicon Valley—the city’s tech scene over the past decade has not only pervaded all of its world-leading activities, it’s also created a vibrant, independent business environment of its own.
Author Andy Oram, Senior Editor at O’Reilly, provides a comprehensive view of the London tech scene—where it stands, what feeds its strengths, and who is participating.
This report explores:
- London’s computer technologists: where in the world they come from, and how they got their skills
- The strong tech community and rich meetup culture, particularly in the Python, Java, and PHP spaces
- How London startups are breaking new ground on several recent innovations
- The active role played by the Government Digital Service (GDS) in pursuing new projects
- Why London tech companies stay small for a longer period than comparable US firms
- Current speculations about how the Brexit will influence the tech community
Table of contents
1. Trends Shaping the London Tech Scene
- Highly Skilled Staff—Where Do They Come From?
- Pitching In
- Setting Up Shop
- Government: We’re Here to Help You
- Life in London
- Title: Trends Shaping the London Tech Scene
- Release date: August 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491969175
You might also like
The Millenial Money Fix
Make no mistake—Millennials matter. They are no longer those darn kids, mere children of the rainmakers …
Asian Founders at Work: Stories from the Region’s Top Technopreneurs
What does it take to successfully launch and scale a startup in Asia? While much of …
Chase's Calendar of Events 2014, 57th Edition
As featured on The Today Show! 12,500 entries. 196 countries. 365 days. Find out what's going …
Bio-inspired Algorithms for Engineering
Bio-inspired Algorithms for Engineering builds a bridge between the proposed bio-inspired algorithms developed in the past …