London has been a world leader in finance, journalism, trade, the arts, and government for ages, but you don’t hear much about computer technology. With this report, you’ll learn that—while London is no Silicon Valley—the city’s tech scene over the past decade has not only pervaded all of its world-leading activities, it’s also created a vibrant, independent business environment of its own.
Author Andy Oram, Senior Editor at O’Reilly, provides a comprehensive view of the London tech scene—where it stands, what feeds its strengths, and who is participating.
This report explores:
- London’s computer technologists: where in the world they come from, and how they got their skills
- The strong tech community and rich meetup culture, particularly in the Python, Java, and PHP spaces
- How London startups are breaking new ground on several recent innovations
- The active role played by the Government Digital Service (GDS) in pursuing new projects
- Why London tech companies stay small for a longer period than comparable US firms
- Current speculations about how the Brexit will influence the tech community
Table of contents
1. Trends Shaping the London Tech Scene
- Highly Skilled Staff—Where Do They Come From?
- Pitching In
- Setting Up Shop
- Government: We’re Here to Help You
- Life in London
- Title: Trends Shaping the London Tech Scene
- Release date: August 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491969175
You might also like
Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals
Don't simply show your data—tell a story with it! Storytelling with Data teaches you the fundamentals …
Essential Algorithms, 2nd Edition
A friendly introduction to the most useful algorithms written in simple, intuitive English The revised and …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …
Sharpen your Python skills as you dive deep into the Python programming language with Serious Python. …