1. Announcer’s call of the 1973 Belmont Stakes race, accessed on January 10, 2012, at http://www.secretariat.com/past-performances/belmont/.
2. A length is approximately 8 feet, so 31 lengths is 248 feet, or 76 meters.
3. Marvin Drager, The Most Glorious Crown: The Story of America’s Triple Crown Thoroughbreds from Sir Barton to Affirmed (Chicago: Triumph Books, 2005), 192. All quotations in this section are from this book unless otherwise indicated.
4. “The Ten Greatest Horse Races of All Time,” The Observer Sport Monthly, September 1, 2002.
5. Drager, The Most Glorious Crown, ix. The Kentucky Derby is one and a quarter miles (2.01 kilometers), the Preakness Stakes is one and three-sixteenths miles (1.91 kilometers), and ...