Tweak It and Freak It
A Killer Guide to Making Windows Run Your Way
Hundreds of millions of people use Windows every day, and it’s a safe bet that some of them would not describe themselves as happy campers. Regardless of skill level, most people have something they dislike about Windows, and they often have a whole laundry list of Windows gripes. “Why can’t Windows do this rather than that?” “Why does Windows do X instead of Y?” “Wouldn’t it be great if Windows could do Z?”
Most people think Windows is set in stone, but it isn’t! Strip off that veneer and a whole world comes into view, one that’s hackable, moddable, tweakable, customizable, and personalizable. This book shows you the tools and technologies that anyone can use to hack almost every aspect of Windows, from startup to shutdown, from the interface to the Internet, from security to scripting.
• Speed up your tired PC with a fistful of easy-to-do, but oh so powerful tweaks!
• Tired of looking at the same old Windows day in and day out? So are we! That’s why we show you how to give Windows a makeover!
• Want to be more productive at work or home? This book is full of productivity tweaks that not only make Windows more fun to use, but also save you tons of time.
• Create custom backup routines that safeguard your precious data.
• Tighten the security of your PC and your network to stop would-be thieves in their tracks.
• Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista on the same machine, or dare we say it, run MacOS on your PC! We won’t tell.
Paul McFedries is a passionate computer tinkerer and Windows expert. He is the author of more than 60 computer books that have sold more than 3 million copies worldwide. His recent titles include the Sams Publishing books Windows Vista Unleashed, Second Edition, and Windows Home Server Unleashed, and the Que Publishing books Build It. Fix It. Own It. : Networking with Windows Vista, Formulas and Functions with Microsoft Excel 2007, Tricks of the Microsoft Office 2007 Gurus, and Microsoft Access 2007 Forms, Reports, and Queries. Paul is also the proprietor of Word Spy (www.wordspy.com), a website devoted to tracking new words and phrases as they enter the English language.
CATEGORY: Windows Operating System
COVERS: Windows Vista and XP
USER LEVEL: Beginning-Intermediate
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
- CHAPTER 1 Vital Performance Tweaks
- CHAPTER 2 Crucial Security Tweaks
- CHAPTER 3 Indispensable Interface Tweaks
- CHAPTER 4 Terrific Web Tweaks
- CHAPTER 5 Easy Email Tweaks
- CHAPTER 6 Fundamental File Tweaks
- CHAPTER 7 Keeping the Bad Guys at Bay
- CHAPTER 8 Configuring Internet Security
- CHAPTER 9 Maintaining Your Privacy on the Web
- CHAPTER 10 Tweaking Windows for Safe and Fun Family Use
- CHAPTER 11 More User Account Tweaks
- CHAPTER 12 Taking Advantage of the Administrator Account
- CHAPTER 13 Crucial Password Hacks
- CHAPTER 14 General Performance Tweaks
- CHAPTER 15 Streamlining the Start Menu
- CHAPTER 16 Speeding Up Your Web Surfing
- CHAPTER 17 Giving Windows a Makeover
- CHAPTER 18 Useful Interface Tweaks
- CHAPTER 19 Useful and Fun Interface Mods
- CHAPTER 20 Modding Music
- CHAPTER 21 Tweaking Photos
- CHAPTER 22 Customizing Video
- CHAPTER 23 Handy File and Folder Tweaks
- CHAPTER 24 Dealing with Disk Drives
- CHAPTER 25 Super Searching
- CHAPTER 26 Building Better Backups
- CHAPTER 27 Customizing the File System
- CHAPTER 28 Working with Network Computers
- CHAPTER 29 Tightening Network Security
- CHAPTER 30 Making Remote Connections
- CHAPTER 31 Tweaking Wireless Connections
- CHAPTER 32 Running Programs
- CHAPTER 33 More Program Tweaks
- CHAPTER 34 Tweaking Windows with the Registry Editor
- CHAPTER 35 Controlling Windows with the Group Policy Editor
- CHAPTER 36 Running the Command Prompt
- CHAPTER 37 Running Scripts
- CHAPTER W1 Device Driver Tweaks
- CHAPTER W2 Dealing with Devices
- CHAPTER W3 Creating Your Own Custom Startup
- CHAPTER W4 Customizing Windows Restarts and Shutdowns
- CHAPTER W5 Enhancing Security and Privacy at Shutdown
- CHAPTER W6 Dual-Booting Windows with Other Operating Systems
- Title: Tweak It and Freak It: A Killer Guide to Making Windows Run Your Way
- Release date: March 2009
- Publisher(s): Que
- ISBN: 9780768686739