The biggest speed-ups can be seen by reprogramming your SQL statements so they are more efficient. If you follow these tips, your server will thank you:
• Select as little data as possible. Rather than
SELECT *, select only the fields you need.
• If you need only a few rows, use
LIMIT to select the number you need.
• Declare fields as
NOT NULL when creating tables to save space and increase speed.
• Provide default values for fields and use them where you can.
• Be very careful with table joins because they are the easiest way to write inefficient queries.
• If you must use joins, be sure you join on fields that are indexed. They should also preferably be integer fields because these are faster than strings for comparisons. ...