C H A P T E R 5
ASP.NET Threads and Sessions
For many ASP.NET-based web sites, an effective way to improve site performance and scalability is by thoroughly addressing issues related to threads and sessions.
In this chapter, I’ll cover the following:
- The very negative impact of using synchronous pages when you make out-of-process or off-server calls
- Improving the scalability of your site by using asynchronous pages and background worker threads
- A brief overview of locking as it applies to asynchronous programming
- The scalability impact of the default session state provider, why it’s best to avoid session state if you can, and what the alternatives are
- An approach to building a customized and highly scalable session state provider
Get Ultra-Fast ASP.NET 4.5 now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.