In this report, author Jim Bird explains how organizations can move to DevOps by building on their existing investments in Agile development. The DevOps approach, practices, and tools all build on and extend Agile, and the two methodologies require the same kind of commitment and energy, the same approach to cultural and organizational change, and the same focus on iterative and incremental change, feedback, and learning.
DevOps is about expanding Agile ideas and values from product management and software development to the rest of the service delivery organization. You’ll discover why DevOps’ scope is greater, its speed faster, and its results much more impactful.
Transitioning from Agile to DevOps will shift your focus from:
- Continuous integration in Agile to continuous delivery pipelines in DevOps
- The Agile manifesto to DevOps’ CALMS: culture, automation, lean production, measurement, and sharing
- Building working software to creating production-ready services
- Measuring velocity and controlled change with Agile to cycle time to release and continuous change with DevOps
- T-shaped generalizing specialists to full-stack developers
- Agile’s retrospection for driving continuous improvement to DevOps’ blameless postmortems for treating failures as vital feedback
Table of contents
Understanding Agile DevOps
- What Does Agile Mean in DevOps?
- From the Agile Manifesto to CAMS and CALMS
- From Continuous Integration to Continuous Delivery
- From “Working Software” to Services in Production
- From Velocity to Cycle Time
- From Controlled Change to Continuous Change
- From T-Shaped to Full-Stack Developers
- From Retrospectives to Blameless Postmortems
- Moving from Agile to DevOps
- Title: Understanding Agile DevOps
- Release date: December 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492028475
You might also like
The DevOps Adoption Playbook
Achieve streamlined, rapid production with enterprise-level DevOps The DevOps Adoption Playbook provides practical, actionable, real-world guidance …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …