The dream of an elastic, on-demand application platform has been long-sought, and with today’s Cloud infrastructures the goal is more realistic than ever. High-intensity applications in a variety of areas (as discussed in the section on Today’s Big Data Explosion) require the ability to handle the load from a growing set of users or input volume.
This chapter covers these important questions:
• What are the common application architectures?
• What are the important tiers of the application infrastructure?
• What is required to scale each tier?
• How can you keep your application available 24X7 with an elastic platform?
• How is an Elastic Platform supported by a scalable Big Data infrastructure?