This chapter covers
- Programming doors that the player can open
- Enabling physics simulations that scatter a stack of boxes
- Building collectible items that players store in their inventory
- Using code to manage game state, such as inventory data
- Equipping and using inventory items
Implementing functional items is the next topic we’re going to focus on. Previous chapters covered a number of different elements of a complete game: movement, enemies, the UI, and so forth. But our projects have lacked anything to interact with other than enemies, nor have they had much in the way of game state. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to create functional devices like doors. We’ll also discuss collecting ...