21. Network Management and Debugging
Because networks increase the number of interdependencies among machines, they tend to magnify problems. As the saying goes, “Networking is when you can’t get any work done because of the failure of a machine you have never heard of.”
Network management is the art and science of keeping a network healthy. It generally includes the following tasks:
• Fault detection for networks, gateways, and critical servers
• Schemes for notifying an administrator of problems
• General network monitoring, to balance load and plan expansion
• Documentation and visualization of the network
• Administration of network devices ...