Chapter 1 gave you an overview of UNIX, including a history of the UNIX operating system and the UNIX variants available today. This chapter introduces you to the things you need to know to start using your UNIX system. In this chapter, you will learn:
• How to access and log in to a UNIX system
• How to select and change your password
• How to run basic commands
• How to communicate with other users
• How to use a simple e-mail program
By the end of this chapter, you should be able to log in to the system, get some work done, and log out.
You can access a UNIX system in one of two general ways: either locally (that is, while sitting at the computer you are connected to), or remotely (by connecting to the ...