Unreal Engine 4 for virtual reality game design, development, User Experience design techniques and Blueprint programming to create virtual reality gameplay for HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, PSVR, and Windows Mixed Reality headsets.
- Build VR games from scratch with the power of Unreal Engine 4
- Learn User Experience design practices to take your VR game to the next level
- Understand the best practices to creating art for games on HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, and PSVR
With the ability to put players directly in the game, virtual reality gives users the chance to experience digital worlds directly. Nevertheless, many designers are unsure where to start when working with this amazing technology.
With this book, you will learn user experience design processes and create immersive gameplay experiences designed for entertainment and player comfort. Using the power of Unreal Engine 4's Blueprint visual scripting language, you will build player interaction and locomotion systems from scratch and use these flexible systems to create a sample game, as well as develop functional 2D and 3D user interfaces for players to interact with. And also learn the best practices for creating game art for virtual reality. Finally, you will learn how to test your application with your target audience and finalize your game for distribution.
By the end of this book, you will have the knowledge to be able to make the leap from traditional game development to creating immersive virtual reality experiences using Unreal Engine 4.
What you will learn
- Understand how to get started with VR development in Unreal Engine 4
- Design and create interaction and locomotion systems from scratch
- Plan and program a sample game for VR
- Understand how VR affects user experience and user interfaces
- Discuss what is needed to create optimized art for VR
- Test your game with users and prepare for distribution
Who this book is for
The audience for this book is intermediate or advanced users of Unreal Engine 4 but who have not begun working with VR technology. These users are familiar with the game engine and have an interest in VR technology. They are just beginning to explore the VR features that the game engine has to offer.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright and Credits
- About Packt
Introducing VR Technology in Unreal Engine 4
- Why use Unreal Engine 4 for VR?
- What types of VR Technology are available to developers?
- Pros and cons of popular VR headsets
- Limitations of VR
- Introducing our sample project – Server 17
Locomotion, Design, and Starting Our Project
- The Human-Centered Design process
- Choosing our locomotion method
- Setting up new game files in UE4
- Project setup
Exploring Riveting Gameplay in Virtual Reality
- What does VR bring to video games?
- Popular gameplay mechanics
- Designing the gameplay for Server 17
- User Interface and User Experience inside VR
Creating Optimized Game Art for VR in UE4
- Performance is key
- Artistic limitations in VR
- Performance-boosting techniques
- Measuring ingame performance
- Finalizing Our VR Game and Next Steps
- Other Books You May Enjoy
- Title: Unreal Engine Virtual Reality Quick Start Guide
- Release date: February 2019
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781789617405
You might also like
Unreal Engine 4 Game Development Essentials
Master the basics of Unreal Engine 4 to build stunning video games About This Book Get …
Unreal® Engine VR Cookbook: Developing Virtual Reality with UE4
“With his YouTube channel, Mitch’s VR Lab, Mitch has helped thousands of people understand the foundations …
Unreal Engine Physics Essentials
Gain practical knowledge of mathematical and physics concepts in order to design and develop an awesome …
Unreal for Mobile and Standalone VR: Create Professional VR Apps Without Coding
Apply the techniques needed to build VR applications for mobile and standalone head-mounted displays (HMDs) using …