Demographics not only define who we are, where we live, and how our numbers change, but—for those who can read beyond the raw figures—they open up hidden business opportunities that lie ahead.
What will happen when retiring Boomers free up jobs? How will Generation Y alter housing and transportation? Which states will have the most dynamic workforces? Will American manufacturing rebound as Asia’s population boom stalls?
Upside puts this powerful yet little-understood science to work finding answers. Demographer Kenneth Gronbach synthesizes reams of data to show how generations impact markets and economies, and how to target promising trends. Lively and full of surprises, the book explains:
- What each age cohort is likely to buy now and in coming decades
- How profits dovetail with consumer numbers
- What sectors are likely to grow or lag
- How to make sense of the numbers to chart your own path
- And more
As waves of people are born and age, fortunes and futures are determined. Whether you’re an investor, marketer executive, or entrepreneur, Upside helps you spot the potential for profits in ever-shifting demographics.
Table of contents
- Half title
Part One: The Demand Side of the Equation: Generations and Regions
- 1 Counting People—What a Concept!
- 2 The People Are Demanding
- 3 The Ever-So-Important Delineation of the Generations
- 4 Who Are These People?
- 5 On the Way Out with the G.I. Generation
- 6 The Still Quiet Silent Generation
- 7 Those Transformative Baby Boomers
- 8 The Unfairly Maligned Generation X
- 9 Coming of Age with Generation Y
- 10 The As-Yet-to-Be-Defined Generation Z
- 11 Now That You Know Who These People Are, and How Many, Where Are They?
- 12 The Northeast Beholden to International Immigration
- 13 The South Has Indeed Risen Again
- 14 Doldrums in the Midwest
- 15 Is the West the Best?
Part Two: The Supply Side of The Equation: The Impact of Demographics
- 16 Put All These People Together and Stir the Pot
- 17 Death Comes Knocking for Us All
- 18 Kicking Back During the Golden Years
- 19 Boomers Driving the Future of Healthcare
- 20 Where House Now?
- 21 Planes, Trains, and Automobiles . . . Not to Mention Boats
- 22 Technology—A Language Best Spoken by the Young?
- 23 Retail and Marketing—When and How to Sell What to Whom
- 24 Manufacturing—Coming Home to Roost?
- 25 Out with the Old, In with the New—Labor Force Dynamics
- Part Three: The Rest of The World (Row)
- Sample pages from Age Curve by Kenneth w. Gronbach
- About Amacom
- Title: Upside
- Release date: April 2017
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: 9780814434703
You might also like
The Joy of Strategy: A Business Plan for Life
Your life is serious business, but who says you can’t find joy along the way? As …
What skills will matter most for work, business and life in the future? Where should you …
Balance is B.S.
Combine the best parts of your personal and professional life to live the life you really …
The Intelligent Investor, Rev. Ed
More than one million hardcovers sold Now available for the first time in paperback! The Classic …