In this video course, usability testing consultant Amy Eastment teaches best practices for user research and usability testing, from start to finish. You'll learn how to sell the need for usability testing to your organization, choose the right people for your team, conduct tests efficiently, and present the results.
She covers six key steps involved in user research and testing: test requirements brainstorming, scripting, recruiting and scheduling, logistics identification and preparation, conducting interviews, and reporting findings. She also provides a few real-life examples of ways you can incorporate user research into your ongoing product development cycle.
- Learn to carefully isolate the problems and questions you're trying to solve before you begin
- Understand the value of a testing script and how to put one together
- Discover user recruitment shortcuts like pop-up surveys, guerilla testing, and Craigslist
- Review the best ways to prepare your products or ideas for testing
- Explore tips and tricks for ensuring the success of in-person and remote interviews
- Pin down the best techniques for reporting findings and integrating them into your products
- Walk through the preparation and logistical planning for two theoretical research studies: conducting user research for B2B SaaS platform and testing a new feature in a B2C consumer marketplace
Amy Eastment has spent the last decade working in design, product development, and engineering at places like the MIT Media Lab, HubSpot, and BitSight Technologies. She also teaches research and web design at Startup Institute.
Table of contents
- Welcome to the Course 00:02:52
- What Can You Learn? 00:14:32
- Pre-Research Brainstorming 00:09:42
- Scripting 00:20:29
- Recruiting & Scheduling 00:22:59
- Preparations 00:07:29
- In-Person Interviewing & Testing 00:06:46
- Remote Interviewing & Usability Testing 00:07:27
- Responding to Results 00:08:53
- Integrating These Practices 00:03:09
- Course Closing 00:05:27
- Title: Usability Testing and Research
- Release date: September 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491931561
You might also like
Expanded Edition (August 2018) Updated with Design Patterns episodes from the Clean Code series from Clean …
Usability Matters: Mobile-first UX for developers and other accidental designers
Summary Usability Matters: Mobile-first UX for developers and other accidental designers gives you practical advice and …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …