Understand your users, gain strategic insights, and make your product development more efficient with user experience mapping
About This Book
- Detailed guidance on the major types of User Experience Maps.
- Learn to gain strategic insights and improve communication with stakeholders.
- Get an idea on creating wireflows, mental model maps, ecosystem maps and solution maps
Who This Book Is For
This book is for Product Manager, Service Managers and Designers who are keen on learning the user experience mapping techniques.
What You Will Learn
- Create and understand all common user experience map types.
- Use lab or remote user research to create maps and understand users better.
- Design behavioral change and represent it visually.
- Create 4D user experience maps, the ?ultimate UX deliverable?.
- Capture many levels of interaction in a holistic view.
- Use experience mapping in an agile team, and learn how maps help in communicating within the team and with stakeholders.
- Become more user focused and help your organisation become user-centric.
Do you want to create better products and innovative solutions? User Experience Maps will help you understand users, gain strategic insights and improve communication with stakeholders. Maps can also champion user-centricity within the organisation.
Two advanced mapping techniques will be revealed for the first time in print, the behavioural change map and the 4D UX map. You will also explore user story maps, task models and journey maps. You will create wireflows, mental model maps, ecosystem maps and solution maps. In this book, the author will show you how to use insights from real users to create and improve your maps and your product.
The book describes each major User Experience map type in detail. Starting with simple techniques based on sticky notes moving to more complex map types.
In each chapter, you will solve a real-world problem with a map. The book contains detailed, beginner level tutorials on creating maps using different software products, including Adobe Illustrator, Balsamiq Mockups, Axure RP or Microsoft Word. Even if you don't have access to any of those, each map type can also be drawn with pen and paper.
Beyond creating maps, the book will also showcase communication techniques and workshop ideas. Although the book is not intended to be a comprehensive guide to modern user experience or product management, its novel ideas can help you create better solutions. You will also learn about the Kaizen-UX management framework, developed by the author, now used by many agencies and in-house UX teams in Europe and beyond.
Buying this map will give you hundreds of hours worth of user experience knowledge, from one of the world's leading UX consultants. It will change your users' world for the better. If you are still not convinced, we have hidden some cat drawings in it, just in case.
Style and approach
An easy to understand guide, filled with real world use cases on how to plan, prioritize and visualize your project on customer experience
Table of contents
How Will UX Mapping Change Your (Users) Life?
- Getting started with User Experience Mapping
User Story Map - Requirements by Collaboration and Sticky Notes
- Why should you create user story maps?
- Just tell the story
- The grocery surplus webshop
- How to create a user story
- 3 Cs – the process to turn stories into reality
- The narrative flow
- The user story map on the wall
- Creating user story maps digitally
Journey Map - Understand Your Users
- F2P FPS (an example from the gaming industry)
- Creating persona documents with Smaply
- Task models
- Designing the user journey
Wireflows - Plan Your Product
- The customer support chatbot
- Wireframing with Balsamiq Mockups
- Wireflow Improvement Workshop (WIW)
Remote and Lab Tests for Map Creation
- Samsung's 2017 redesign
- Test objectives
- Lab, remote, and guerrilla testing
- How to test Samsung UK?
- Private panel
- Moderated versus unmoderated tests
- The scenario
- The pilot test
- Testing with WhatUsersDo.com
Solution Mapping Based on User Insights
- Contiki adventure
- Tagging - the science of active watching
- How to tag videos
- The solution map
- Five steps to create the solution map
- Put the solution map to action
Mental Model Map - A Diagram of the Perceived Reality
- What's a mental model?
- Buying a car
- How mental models work?
- Longitudinal research
- Mental model mapping
- Using the mental model map
Behavioral Change Map - The Action Plan of Persuasion
- The Amazon miracle
- Is it possible to change behaviors?
- The cue-routine-reward framework
- Automate repetition
- Heuristic and systematic processing
- The LEVER framework
- Drawing the behavioral change map
The 4D UX Map - Putting It All Together
- The restaurant without tables
- Sum of all maps
- The MAYA map
- Mental model snippets
- Ecosystem Maps - A Holistic Overview
- Kaizen Mapping - UX Maps in Agile Product Management
- Title: User Experience Mapping
- Release date: May 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781787123502
You might also like
Mapping the User Experience
If you want to create products and services that provide real value, you should first identify …
User Journey Mapping
A user journey map is a powerful asset that's used to understand how people use our …
User Experience Design
Igniting business growth through UX In an increasingly digital world, users are rewarding products and services …
Quantifying the User Experience, 2nd Edition
Quantifying the User Experience: Practical Statistics for User Research, Second Edition, provides practitioners and researchers with …