Chapter 12. Cloning a DB2 UDB database in the IBM System Storage N series environment 237
We recommend that you develop a naming convention, and assign a meaningful
name to the Snapshot copies that are created for cloning purpose.
12.2.3 Start the source database
After the Snapshot copies of the FlexVol volumes of the source database are
created, you can connect to the source database and start using it.
12.2.4 Clone the FlexVol volumes
1. Next, create a clone of each FlexVol volume using the Snapshot copies
created in section 12.2.2, “Create Snapshot copies of the database FlexVol
volumes” on page 236. A clone volume can be created by executing the
following command on the storage system:
vol clone create [CloneVol] -s volume -b [ParentVol] <ParentSnap>
– CloneVol identifies the name of the FlexClone volume that is being
– ParentVol identifies the name of the FlexVol volume that is source for the
– ParentSnap identifies the name of the parent FlexVol volume snapshot
that is used as source for the clone volume.
For example, to create a clone volume of a FlexVol volume named dblogs
using the Snapshot copy named dbdata_cl_snp.01, you would execute the
following command on the IBM System Storage N series:
vol clone create dbdata_cl -s volume -b dbdata dbdata_cl_snp.01
2. Verify the clone you just created with the following command:
vol status dbdata_cl
The output is seen in Example 12-2 on page 238.
itsotuc2> vol status dbdata_cl
Volume State Status Options
dbdata_cl online raid_dp, flex create_ucode=on,
Clone, backed by volume 'dbdata', snapshot
Containing aggregate: 'aggr0'