Become more mindful of the user when building digital products, and learn how to integrate a user-centered approach into your thinking as a web or app developer. This book shows you how the user experience is the responsibility of everyone involved in creating the product and how to redefine development principles when building user-centered digital products.
There are still many organizations that are not design driven, and the gap between stereotypical design and development teams needs to be bridged in order to build digital products that cater to the needs of real people. We are at a point where we see organizations that cannot bring the user experience into their core thinking falling behind their competitors. You'll see how to increase the level of UX maturity within any organization by tackling what is possibly the biggest stumbling block that stands between design and development: putting user needs ahead of system efficiency.
UX for Developers shows how you can adjust your focus in order to be more mindful of the user when building digital products. Learn to care about what you build, not just for the system’s sake, but for those who will use what you build.
What You'll Learn
- Understand what it means to build websites and applications for the user, rather than from a developer’s perspective.
- Review the soft skills required to build more usable digital products
- Discover the tools and techniques to adopt a user-focused approach to development.
- Improve communication throughout design and development, especially between developers and non-developers.
Table of contents
- Front Matter
- 1. What Is User Experience?
- 2. The Importance of User Experience
- 3. Business Objectives vs. User Goals
- 4. Adjusting the Developer Perspective
- 5. The Importance of Communication
- 6. Focusing on the User
- 7. Building Empathy
- 8. The Importance of Visual Design
- 9. Prototype, Evaluate, Iterate
- 10. The Path Ahead
- Back Matter
- Title: UX for Developers: How to Integrate User-Centered Design Principles Into Your Day-to-Day Development Work
- Release date: December 2018
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781484242278
You might also like
Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design, Second Edition
In a chaotic world, we all crave simplicity. We don’t want to waste time reconfiguring our …
Designing Web Usability
Users experience the usability of a web site before they have committed to using it and …
DevOps for the Desperate
If you’re a software engineer, developer, or sys admin who needs to get up to speed …
Learning SQL, 3rd Edition
As data floods into your company, you need to put it to work right away—and SQL …