FOCUS ON THE PATIENT
• Describe the role of communication in a patient focused environment of care, with the treatment plan as a unit of analysis
• Discuss barriers to effective communication and strategies to overcome them
• Describe the value of using clinical guidelines and pathways to promote a patient focused environment
• Explain the importance of patient education in promoting good outcomes
• Explain the importance of documenting near misses to improve patient safety
Health care in this country is moving from a treatment or task-focused approach to a patient focused one. Such an approach involves bringing the patient and family into the treatment loop, with tools, explanations, improved communication, and information ...