UNDERSTANDING PROCESSES, OUTCOMES, AND COSTS
• Understand the concept of never events
• Describe the connections among waste, good outcomes, and efficiency
• Describe how the PDCA cycle can improve outcomes
• Describe the value of clinical pathways in improving organizational efficiency
• Discuss issues related to end of life care in terms of processes, outcomes, and costs
In the previous chapters I have discussed how some processes lead to negative outcomes and how taking steps toward prevention results in improvements for the patient and for the hospital. (This topic is examined in detail in my book Measuring Health Care.) In this chapter I focus on the ways in which external agencies are leading the movement to ...