Real-world case studies clarify valuation principles to help readers maximize returns
When founders, VCs, angels, attorneys, CFOs, CEOs, and employees don't understand the true meanings of "value" and "valuation," they end up losing money—lots of money. Venture Capital Valuation is for anyone involved in a venture capital- or angel-backed private company who wants to get the most out of their investments by controlling one of the few things they can when dealing with high-velocity, risky investments: their understanding of valuation.
Lorenzo Carver, author and developer of the #1 selling, award-winning small-business valuation solution software, shares his decades of experience simplifying the high-growth company valuation process for clients in every business sector. Anchored by scores of high-profile examples, Venture Capital Valuation deftly illustrates how stakeholders in a given startup or high-growth company could have improved their outcomes by having better information about valuation.
Helping readers answer such vital valuation questions as "What's this company worth?" "Is this a fair valuation?" and "Are we leaving too much money on the table?" Venture Capital Valuation dissects the valuation profiles of some of today's leading corporations, including:
Plus, interviews with venture-backed company valuation experts Jeff Faust, Josh Cashman, and Joe Orlando
A companion website allows readers to access and download additional material mentioned throughout the text.
Don't wait until it's too late. Learn how "value" changes rights to cash flow at every stage of a company's evolution with Venture Capital Valuation.
Note: The ebook version does not provide access to the companion files.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- INTRODUCTION: What You Don't Know About Valuation Will Cost You Money
CHAPTER 1: Using Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to Explain VC Valuation Gains and Losses
- DID VALUATION IGNORANCE COST CONNECTU (AND THE WINKLEVOSSES) $50MM?
- AN EXPERT DOESN'T NEED A 409A VALUATION WHEN HE OR SHE HAS A CERTIFICATE AND BASIC MATH
- VALUING FACEBOOK'S COMMON STOCK COMPARED TO PREFERRED STOCK IN MINUTES
- WHAT THE WINKLEVOSSES WOULD HAVE SEEN IN ANY 409A VALUATION REPORT
- DERIVING A DISCOUNT FOR LACK OF MARKETABILITY FOR VALUATIONS
- FACEBOOK AT $80 BILLION VALUATION VERSUS ENRON AT $80 BILLION VALUATION
- DEAL TERMS, WATERFALLS, AND THE PRE-MONEY MYTH
- THE PRE-MONEY MYTH
- CHAPTER 2: Should Venture-Backed Companies Even Consider a DCF Model?
- CHAPTER 3: Valuation Methods versus Allocation Methods Regarding Zogenix
CHAPTER 4: Applying the Typical DCF Model to a Venture-Backed Company Hardly Ever Works
- THE GORDON GROWTH MODEL
- HIGH GROWTH LIMITS THE GORDON GROWTH MODEL
- DIVIDEND IRRELEVANCE AND CAPITAL STRUCTURE IRRELEVANCE
- USING COMPARABLES (GENERALLY MARKET MULTIPLES) TO GENERATE A TERMINAL VALUE
- ACTUAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ANGELS AND VCS VERSUS PERCEIVED DIFFERENCES
- APPLYING VALUATION METHODS AND ALLOCATION METHODS AT INCEPTION
CHAPTER 5: “Enterprise Value” + “Allocation Methods” = Value Destruction
- MOST 409A VALUATIONS UNDERVALUE THE COMPANY AND SIMULTANEOUSLY OVERVALUE EMPLOYEE STOCK OPTIONS
- DID AUDITORS DRIVE VALUATORS TO OVERVALUE EMPLOYEE STOCK OPTIONS?
- MOST 409A ENTERPRISE VALUE CALCULATIONS IGNORE THE “TAKEOVER” VALUE OF PREFERRED
- THE REALISTIC RANGE OF POSSIBILITIES DEPENDS ON WHO THE INVESTORS ARE
- OVERSTATING RETURNS AND UNDERSTATING RETURNS ON THE SAME ASSET (SIMULTANEOUSLY)
- WHAT HAPPENS TO FUND IRRS WHEN YOU ASSUME BOOK VALUE EQUALS MARKET VALUE?
- THE REAL COST OF FAIR VALUE, FAIR MARKET VALUE, AND ENTERPRISE VALUE
- YAHOO! CASE
- CHAPTER 6: Why You Should D.O.W.T. (Doubt) Venture Capital Returns—Option Pool Reserve
- CHAPTER 7: If Valuation Can't Make You Money, Do You Really Need It?
- CHAPTER 8: Don't Hate the Appraiser (Blame the Auditor Instead)
CHAPTER 9: Don't Blame the Auditors (Blame the Practice Aid Instead)
- INTRODUCTION TO THE EXPERT PANELISTS
- THE AUDITOR'S VALUATION “BIBLE”
- SAS101 TESTS, PWERMS, AND OPMS
- PWERMS AND RNPV/ENPV MODELS
- SUBJECTIVITY AND THE PWERM (OR “power”) METHOD
- FINDING INPUTS FOR THE OPM MODEL
- ENTERPRISE VALUES VERSUS ALLOCATIONS
- NEXT ROUND PRICING AND TOPIC 820
- DIFFERENT WAYS OF TREATING GRANTED, UNVESTED, AND RESERVED OPTIONS
- VALUING WARRANTS IN VENTURE-BACKED COMPANIES
- QUANTIFYING QUALITATIVE INPUTS TO VALUE CONCLUSIONS FOR VC-FUNDED COMPANIES
- DISCOUNTS FOR LACK OF MARKETABILITY (DLOM) AND VENTURE-FUND PORTFOLIOS
- SHARESPOST, SECONDMARKET AS MARKET INPUTS
- CHAPTER 10: Now That You Understand Venture Capital Valuation, Share It
- About the Author
- Title: Venture Capital Valuation: Case Studies and Methodology, + Website
- Release date: December 2011
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470908280
You might also like
Advanced Credit Risk Analysis and Management
Credit is essential in the modern world and creates wealth, provided it is used wisely. The …
Cash Flow Analysis and Forecasting: The Definitive Guide to Understanding and Using Published Cash Flow Data
This book is the definitive guide to cash flow statement analysis and forecasting. It takes the …
The Art of Startup Fundraising
Startup money is moving online, and this guide shows you how it works. The Art of …
Financial Shenanigans, Fourth Edition: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports, 4th Edition
The bestselling classic from the “Sherlock Holmes of Accounting”—updated to reflect key case studies from the …