An easy-to-understand primer on Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality
Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) are driving the next technological revolution. If you want to get in on the action, this book helps you understand what these technologies are, their history, how they’re being used, and how they’ll affect consumers both personally and professionally in the very near future.
With VR and AR poised to become mainstream within the next few years, an accessible book to bring users up to speed on the subject is sorely needed—and that’s where this handy reference comes in! Rather than focusing on a specific piece of hardware (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, iOS ARKit) or software (Unity, Unreal Engine), Virtual & Augmented Reality For Dummies offers a broad look at both VR and AR, giving you a bird’s eye view of what you can expect as they continue to take the world by storm.
* Keeps you up-to-date on the pulse of this fast-changing technology
* Explores the many ways AR/VR are being used in fields such as healthcare, education, and entertainment
* Includes interviews with designers, developers, and technologists currently working in the fields of VR and AR
Perfect for both potential content creators and content consumers, this book will change the way you approach and contribute to these emerging technologies.
Table of contents
Part 1: Getting Started with Virtual and Augmented Reality
- Chapter 1: Defining Virtual and Augmented Reality
- Chapter 2: Exploring the Current State of Virtual Reality
- Chapter 3: Exploring the Current State of Augmented Reality
Part 2: Consuming Content in Virtual and Augmented Reality
- Chapter 4: Consuming Content in Vir tual Reality
- Chapter 5: Consuming Content in Augmented Reality
Part 3: Creating Content in Virtual and Augmented Reality
- Chapter 6: Evaluating Your Project
- Chapter 7: Planning Your Virtual Reality Project
- Chapter 8: Planning Your Augmented Reality Project
- Chapter 9: Creating Content for Virtual and Augmented Reality
- Part 4: Virtual and Augmented Reality in the Wild
- Part 5: The Future of Virtual and Augmented Reality
Part 6: The Part of Tens
Chapter 14: Ten Questions about Virtual and Augmented Reality
- How Will Virtual and Augmented Reality Affect Me?
- Which Technology Will Win?
- What If I Don’t Have a Headset?
- How Large Will the Virtual and Augmented Reality Consumer Markets Get?
- When Should I Enter the Market as a Consumer?
- When Should My Company Enter the Market?
- Which Virtual Reality Headset Is Right for Me?
- What Could Impede the Growth of Virtual and Augmented Reality?
- Are There Lasting Physical Effects?
- What Is the Future of Virtual and Augmented Reality?
- Chapter 15: Ten Industries That Will Be Transformed by Virtual and Augmented Reality
- Chapter 16: Ten (Or So) Mobile Apps for Experiencing Augmented Reality Today
- Chapter 14: Ten Questions about Virtual and Augmented Reality
- About the Author
- Advertisement Page
- Connect with Dummies
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Virtual & Augmented Reality For Dummies
- Release date: July 2018
- Publisher(s): For Dummies
- ISBN: 9781119481348
You might also like
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Even bad code can function. But if code isn't clean, it can bring a development organization …
Augmented Reality for Developers
Build exciting AR applications on mobile and wearable devices with Unity 3D, Vuforia, ARToolKit, Microsoft Mixed …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Augmented Reality: Principles and Practice
Today’s Comprehensive and Authoritative Guide to Augmented Reality By overlaying computer-generated information on the real world, …