Praise for Virtual Team Success
"There's no school for this yet, but when the first is established, Virtual Team Success: A Practical Guide for Working and Leading from a Distance will certainly be the core curriculum."
—Jessica Lipnack and Jeffrey Stamps, CEO and co-founders, NetAge
"Virtual Team Success is a must have for anyone managing geographically-dispersed teams. DeRosa and Lepsinger bring experience and credentials to guide us all through the labyrinth of problems that so often derail virtual teams. As our global businesses become increasingly complex, I can't imagine a more timely or better resource."
—Jay Moldenhauer-Salazar, vice president, talent management, The Gap
"For global teams that want to be top-performing, Virtual Team Success should be their team handbook. It's loaded with tools, checklists, models, and practical recommendations for working and leading from a distance. This is the kind of book virtual teams really need to be successful. I've been waiting for a book like this and look forward to recommending it as a resource that can help improve the performance of our teams!"
—Kathleen McGuire, manager organizational development, Bayer Healthcare HR Global Leadership Development
"Virtual teams are intended to make optimal use of expertise spread across the world, but performance excellence is the exception and mediocrity the rule. After extensive and careful study of real teams, DeRosa and Lepsinger have captured essential information, principles of operation, and tools in a highly readable volume that can help thoughtful readers elevate the performance of the teams significantly. The practical focus, collection of techniques and tools, and "how to" tips provide an essential foundation for anyone with virtual team responsibility. The organization of the book centered around challenges, differentiators, and lessons will facilitate finding answers to any problem the team faces. The RAMP model makes it easy to focus on what's important in enabling top performance."
—Mike Beyerlein, professor, Organizational Leadership, Purdue University
Table of contents
I. Building High-Performing Virtual Teams
- 1. Why Virtual Teams Fail
2. Profiles of Virtual Team Success—What Good Looks Like
- 2.1. Team Composition
- 2.2. Communication and Training
- 2.3. Leadership
- 2.4. Conclusion
3. Virtual Team Launch Kit
- 3.1. Test Your Virtual Team Launch IQ
3.2. Setting Virtual Teams Up for Success
3.2.1. Before the Launch: Forming a Virtual Team
- 184.108.40.206. Keep Your Virtual Teams at a Manageable Size.
- 220.127.116.11. Choose Virtual Team Leaders Carefully.
- 18.104.22.168. Make Sure Teams Have the Right Mix of "Virtual" and Technical Skills.
- 22.214.171.124. Select the Right Communication Technologies.
- 126.96.36.199. Determine How Performance Will Be Recognized and Rewarded.
3.2.2. The Launch Stage: Hold a Great Kick-Off Meeting
- 188.8.131.52. Create a Sense of Purpose.
- 184.108.40.206. Clarify the Team's Goals.
- 220.127.116.11. Clarify Team Members' Roles.
- 18.104.22.168. Develop Team Norms.
- 22.214.171.124. Develop a Plan for Communicating Among Team Members.
- 126.96.36.199. Hold Team Development Activities.
- 3.2.3. After the Launch: Monitor and Assess Team Performance
- 3.2.1. Before the Launch: Forming a Virtual Team
- 3.3. Is Your Organization Prepared to Support Virtual Team Work?
- 3.4. Conclusion
4. What Differentiates Great Virtual Teams—How to RAMP Up Your Team's Performance
- 4.1. What Differentiates Top Virtual Teams?
- 4.2. The ShingleSeal Standstill: How Would You Handle It?
4.3. RAMP Up Virtual Team Performance
- 4.3.1. RAMP Component 1: Relationships
- 4.3.2. RAMP Component 2: Accountability
- 4.3.3. RAMP Component 3: Motivation
- 4.3.4. RAMP Component 4: Process and Purpose
- 4.4. Conclusion
II. Leading Virtual Teams
5. How to Lead Virtual Teams—Tips, Techniques, and Best Practices for High Performance
5.1. Challenges Virtual Team Leaders Face
- 5.1.1. Challenge 1: Infrequent Face-to-Face Contact
- 5.1.2. Challenge 2: Lack of Resources
- 5.1.3. Challenge 3: Difficulty Building a Collaborative Atmosphere Virtually
- 5.1.4. Challenge 4: Lack of Time to Focus on Leading the Team
- 5.1.5. Challenge 5: Shifting Team and Organizational Priorities
- 5.1.6. Challenge 6: Difficulty Managing Poor Performers
- 5.2. Raygen Company Slump: How Would You Handle It?
- 5.3. Virtual Team Leadership Self-Assessment
5.4. What Makes an Effective Virtual Team Leader?
- 5.4.1. Differentiator 1: Ability to Effectively Manage Change
- 5.4.2. Differentiator 2: Ability to Foster an Atmosphere of Collaboration
- 5.4.3. Differentiator 3: Ability to Communicate Team Goals and Direction
- 5.4.4. Differentiator 4: Strong Interpersonal Communication Skills
- 5.4.5. Differentiator 5: Ability to Empower Team Members
- 5.5. Obstacles at a Glance: A Quick Reference Guide
- 5.6. Conclusion
- 5.1. Challenges Virtual Team Leaders Face
6. What Factors Really Accelerate Virtual Team Performance—The Four Top Performance Boosters
6.1. Taking Virtual Team Performance to the Next Level
- 6.1.1. Performance Booster 1: Provide Coaching and Support
- 6.1.2. Performance Booster 2: Gain Team Members' Commitment
- 6.1.3. Performance Booster 3: Recognize Team Members' Contributions
- 6.1.4. Performance Booster 4: Hold Team Members Accountable
- 6.2. Conclusion
- 6.1. Taking Virtual Team Performance to the Next Level
- 7. How to Facilitate High-Impact Virtual Meetings—Techniques That Really Work
- Conclusion: Six Lessons for Successful Virtual Teams
- 5. How to Lead Virtual Teams—Tips, Techniques, and Best Practices for High Performance
- A. OnPoint's Global Virtual Team Study
- About the Authors
- Title: Virtual Team Success: A Practical Guide for Working and Leading from a Distance
- Release date: October 2010
- Publisher(s): Pfeiffer
- ISBN: 9780470532966
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Making Projects Work: Effective Stakeholder and Communication Management
This book provides a framework for understanding and managing factors required for achieving successful project and …
Beyond Team Building
Understand the dynamics of all different types of teams Beyond Team Building: How to Build High …
Project Managers Portable Handbook, Third Edition, 3rd Edition
The Latest Project Management Data at Your Fingertips Fully updated throughout, this hands-on guide gives you …