The start-to-finish guide to virtualizing business-critical SQL Server databases on VMware vSphere 5
By virtualizing business-critical databases, enterprises can drive far more value from existing IT infrastructure. But squeezing maximum performance out of a virtualized database instance is an art as much as a science. This indispensable start-to-finish guide brings together all the techniques, tips, and insights you need to succeed.
Drawing on unsurpassed personal experience, three leading experts share complete best practices for deploying business-critical database servers in virtualized vSphere 5 environments. They cover the entire project lifecycle, bridging technical and communications gaps between SQL Server and VMware professionals that often make database virtualization more difficult than it needs to be.
You’ll find specific guidance for architects and administrators responsible for systems, storage, databases, applications, or VMware virtualization. The authors also present detailed, start-to-finish coverage of performance baselining and testing: all you need to make your virtualized databases as fast as they are cost effective. Although this book focuses on SQL, the authors’ proven guidance for enhancing performance can be leveraged by any IT professional virtualizing a demanding Tier 1 application.
• Business cases for database virtualization: consolidation, Database as a Service (DaaS), efficiency, and “SLAs on steroids”
• Using the redundancy inherent in virtualization to improve availability
• Constructing a careful, conservative implementation plan
• Balancing disk, CPU, memory, and network for superior performance
• Mastering the five key principles of database storage design
• Leveraging memory: SQL MAX, page locking, NUMA, reservations, swapping, large memory pages, and more
• Ensuring responsiveness by providing a fast, reliable, low-latency network
• Supporting advanced AlwaysOn Failover Cluster Instances and Availability Groups
• Baselining physical systems and properly determining resource requirements
• Configuring performance tests from beginning to end
• Migrating existing SQL Server databases onto a vSphere platform
• Avoiding traps and pitfalls in virtualizing production databases
• Managing and monitoring virtualized database instances and resources
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- About the Authors
- Technical Reviewers
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
- Chapter 1. Virtualization The New World Order
- Chapter 2. The Business Case for Virtualizing a Database
- Chapter 3. Architecting for Performance: The Right Hypervisor
- Chapter 4. Virtualizing SQL Server: Doing IT Right
- Chapter 5. Architecting for Performance: Design
- Chapter 6. Architecting for Performance: Storage
- Chapter 7. Architecting for Performance: Memory
- Chapter 8. Architecting for Performance: Network
- Chapter 9. Architecting for Availability: Choosing the Right Solution
Chapter 10. How to Baseline Your Physical SQL Server System
- What is a Performance Baseline?
- Why Should You Take a Performance Baseline?
- When Should You Baseline Performance?
- What System Components To Baseline
- Comparing Baselines of Different Processor Types and Generations
- Non-Production Workload Influences on Performance
- Producing a Baseline Performance Report
- Performance Traps to Watch Out For
- Chapter 11. Configuring a Performance Test – From Beginning to End
- Appendix A. Additional Resources
- Title: Virtualizing SQL Server with VMware®: Doing IT Right
- Release date: July 2014
- Publisher(s): VMware Press
- ISBN: 9780133430165
You might also like
Storage Design and Implementation in vSphere 6: A Technology Deep Dive, 2nd Edition
Now fully updated: The authoritative, comprehensive guide to vSphere 6 storage implementation and management Effective VMware …
Mastering VMware vSphere 6.7
Master your virtual environment with the ultimate vSphere guide Mastering VMware vSphere 6.7 is the fully …
Hyperconverged Infrastructure Data Centers: Demystifying HCI
This book approaches the HCI topic from the point of view that any individual working this …
The Complete VMware vSphere Guide
Explore the benefits of VMware vSphere 6.7 to provide a powerful, flexible, and secure virtual infrastructure, …