There is an art to capturing a photo that tells a story. You
need to know what belongs in the frame and what to leave out, what
to emphasize in the photo that adds to the story, and how to use
light, shape, and color all to express meaning while lending
aesthetic value to the image itself. Vincent Laforet –
Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer and voted one of the "100 Most
Influential People in Photography" by American Photo –
gives a rare look into the art of photography through his lens as a
master editorial and commercial photographer.
This beautiful book contains full-color spreads, with scene details and technical information to help tell the visual stories of larger-than-life life events such as Hurricane Katrina, the Olympic Games, and the war zone of Pakistan. With over 100 photos included, you will gain important insights into how you can achieve similar looks—blending what the camera does with the stories you want to tell.
Learn how the principles of photojournalism can be applied to telling stories with a single image.
Use light, shape, and color to create rich photos that tell the story as well as add sensitivity to beauty and emotion.
Learn how the relationship between foreground and background can be used to creatively produce images with strong impact, and choose lenses based on this discovery.
Understand the value of an image and convey a more in-depth story of the subject in any genre of photography, including landscapes, close-ups, portraits, action shots, aerials, and more.
Receive an up-close and personal view of the author and his work by watching over 60 videos on the accompanying DVD.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Chapter 1. The Value of an Image
- Chapter 2. A Story in a Single Image
- Chapter 3. Marrying the Story with the Aesthetic
- Chapter 4. The art of Sports
- Chapter 5. Documenting War and Tragedy
- Chapter 6. KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid)
- Chapter 7. In the Air
- Chapter 8. A Love Affair with New York
- Chapter 9. The Art of Lens Choice
- Chapter 10. The World Through a Tilt-Shift Lens
- Chapter 11. Seeing and Using Light
- Chapter 12. The Paniolo
- Chapter 13. Never Make a Mediocre Image
- Title: Visual Stories: Behind the Lens with Vincent Laforet
- Release date: November 2011
- Publisher(s): New Riders
- ISBN: 9780132837422