CPU performance best practices
CPU virtualization adds varying amount of overhead, because of this you may need to fine tune the CPU performance and need to know what are the standard best practices.
Following are the standard CPU performance best practices:
- You need to avoid using SMP VMs unless it is required by the application running inside the guest OS. That means if the application is not multithreaded then there is no benefit of using SMP VM.
- You should prioritize the VM CPU usage with proportional share algorithm.
- Use DRS (Distributed Resource Scheduler) and vMotion to redistribute VMs and reduce contention.
- Use the latest available virtual hardware for the VMs.
- Reduce the number of VMs running inside a single host. This way, you can not only ...
Get vSphere High Performance Cookbook now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.