Book descriptionWe Need to Talk!
Conversations about taboo topics happen at work every day. And if they aren't handled effectively, they can become polarizing and divisive, impacting productivity, engagement, retention, teamwork, and even employees' sense of safety in the workplace.
In this concise and powerful book, Mary-Frances Winters shows how to deal with sensitive subjects in a way that brings people together instead of driving them apart. She helps you become aware of the role culture plays in shaping people's perceptions, habits, and communication styles and gives detailed guidance for structuring conversations about those things we're not supposed to talk about.
Preparation is crucial—but so is intent. Winters advises you to “come from your heart, learn from your mistakes, and continue to contribute to making this a more inclusive world for all.”
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- 1 Why Do We Have to Talk about THAT at Work?
- 2 Get Yourself Ready for Bold, Inclusive Conversations
- 3 Expand Your Understanding of Others and Assess Organizational Readiness
- 4 Prepare: Why, Who, What, How, Where, and When?
- 5 Let the Conversations Begin: Search for Shared Meaning
- 6 Let the Conversations Continue: Interpret and Bridge Differences
- 7 Sharpen Inclusive Habits
- About the Author
- Title: We Can't Talk about That at Work!
- Release date: April 2017
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781523094288
You might also like
What does your body language say about you? From strangers on the street, to your closest …
Subtle Acts of Exclusion
This practical, accessible, nonjudgmental handbook is the first to help individuals and organizations recognize and prevent …
The Government Manager's Guide to Plain Language
The ability to write well correlates highly with the ability to think well—to analyze information, weigh …
C++ Crash Course
Upgrade your Code with C++ C++ is one of the most widely used languages for real-world …