Be inspired by 10 web design lessons from 10 of the world's best web designers
Get creative with cutting-edge XHTML, CSS, and DOM scripting techniques
Learn breathtaking design skills while remaining standards-compliant
Here at friends of ED, we know that as a web designer or developer, your work involves more than just working to pay the bills. We know that each day, you strive to push the boundaries of your medium, unleashing your creativity in new ways to make your websites more engaging and attractive to behold, while still maintaining cross-browser support, standards compliance, and accessibility.
That's why we got together 10 of the world's most talented web designers to share their secrets with you. Web Standards Creativity is jam-packed with fresh, innovative design ideas. The topics range from essential CSS typography and grid design, effective styling for CMS-driven sites, and astonishing PNG transparency techniques, to DOM scripting magic for creating layouts that change depending on browser resolution and user preference, and better print layouts for web pages. We're sure you will find something here to inspire you!
This full-color book's examples are not just stunning to look at, but also fully standards-compliant, up-to-date, and tested in current browsers including Internet Explorer 7. Playing by the rules doesn't have to mean drab or dull websites—Web Standards can be fun!
Table of Contents
- About the Technical Reviewer
- Getting Creative with Web Standards
I. Layout Magic
- 1. Semantic Structure, Dirty Pretty Presentation
3. New York Magazine: My, What a Classy <body>
- Mo' metro, mo' style
- Getting started
- Intelligent modules
- Additional classes, additional control
- 4. Designing for Outside the Box
5. Creative Use of PNG Transparency in Web Design
- PNG, GIF, and JPEG
- Some great uses for the humble PNG
- OK, but what browsers does it work in?
II. Effective Print Techniques Applied to CSS Design
6. Grid Design for the Web
- What is a grid system?
- Putting grid systems into practice
- Issues with the design
- 7. Bridging the Type Divide: Classic Typography with CSS
- 6. Grid Design for the Web
III. DOM Scripting Gems
8. Print Magic: Using the DOM and CSS to Save the Planet
- A printing technique is born
- The basic idea
- Preparing the foundations
- What about the CSS?
- A couple of refinements
- Let's see it in action, already!
- Never mind all thatwhat about saving the planet?
10. Accessible Sliding Navigation
- The killer feature
- Accessibility basics
- The accessible solution
- Where does the accessibility come in to it?
- 8. Print Magic: Using the DOM and CSS to Save the Planet
- Title: Web Standards Creativity: Innovations in Web Design with XHTML, CSS, and DOM Scripting
- Release date: December 2007
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781590598030