Achieve your goals by selectively engaging the right people and connecting well with them
Smart executives who want to reach virtually any business goal-from raising capital to finding sales leads to finding the perfect job-know that networking is the key to their success. But traditional networking approaches-meet as many people as possible, amass huge numbers of "connections" and "friends" in your LinkedIn and Facebook networks-rarely produce more than a handful of relationships that pay off. In Well-Connected, networking maven and coach Gordon Curtis explains that the secret to building truly effective relationships is to narrow--rather than widen--your network. His proven methodology for building key relationships that deliver results every time emphasizes selectively engaging the right people and connecting with them well : First, identify a "critical enabler," someone who has access to the knowledge you need and is inclined to help you; second, unlock the critical enabler's willingness and ability to provide what you need by offering her something valuable before you ask her or him for anything.
Well-Connected reveals a breakthrough approach to networking that delivers predictable, positive results
Filled with success stories, the book provides an accessible action plan for all readers
Networking maven Gordon Curtis has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The Boston Sunday Globe, Fast Company Magazine
Well-Connected serves as the playbook for sophisticated business people who know there's a better way to connect with the right people to get things done better and faster.
Table of Contents
- Praise for Well Connected
- 1. Redefining Networking for the Twenty-First Century
2. Prep Work: RETHINKING YOUR NETWORKING STRATEGY
- 2.1. Using A Shotgun
- 2.2. Write And Wait
- 2.3. Less Haste, More Progress
- 2.4. Why Can't We Just Get Started?
- 2.5. Stepping Back to Move Forward: What Do You Need to Ask?
- 2.6. What Are You Communicating?
- 2.7. What's Your Message?
- 2.8. Who Is Your Audience?
- 2.9. Who's Your Target?
- 2.10. How Successful Have You Been?
- 2.11. Are You Hitting Your Target?
- 2.12. What's the Bottom Line?
3. Articulating Your Objective
- 3.1. So What Is Your Objective?
- 3.2. What's Your Objective?
- 3.3. Real-Life Challenge: Articulating Your Objectives
- 3.4. Where Does Articulating Your Objective Lead You?
4. The Right Person: IDENTIFYING YOUR CRITICAL ENABLER
4.1. How Do You Select and Engage a Critical Enabler?
- 4.1.1. Step 1: Decide What You Need to Know About Your Target
- 4.1.2. Real-Life Challenge: Justify the Job
- 4.1.3. Step 2: Locate the Intelligence You Need
- 4.1.4. Real-Life Challenge: An Embarrassment of Riches
- 4.1.5. Step 3: Screen the Pool of Potential Critical Enablers
- 4.1.6. Real-Life Challenge: Aim for the Bull's-Eye
- 4.1.7. Real-Life Challenge: Find Out How Things Really Work
- 4.2. So What Defines Your Critical Enabler?
- 4.1. How Do You Select and Engage a Critical Enabler?
5. The Referral: LANDING AN INTRODUCTION TO A CRITICAL ENABLER
- 5.1. How Do You Manage Referrals?
- 5.2. What Does It Look Like from the Other Side?
- 5.3. Real-Life Challenge: Dig Ever Deeper
6. The Right Approach: PROVIDING VALUE TO YOUR CRITICAL ENABLER
- 6.1. Where Do You Start?
6.2. How Do You Know What to Offer?
- 6.2.1. Things You Already Know
- 6.2.2. Business-Building Tips
- 6.2.3. Expansion Ideas
- 6.2.4. Potential Alliance Partners
- 6.2.5. News of the Competition
- 6.2.6. Forging Links in a Chain
- 6.2.7. Membership Leads
- 6.2.8. Common Ground
- 6.2.9. Things You Can Do
- 6.3. What Else Can You Try?
- 6.4. What Do You Have to Offer?
- 7. The Right Person: SELECTING A CRITICAL ENABLER WHO IS INCLINED, AVAILABLE, AND LIKE-MINDED
8. Putting It All Together
8.1. How Do You Make the Method Work?
- 8.1.1. Preparation: Decide Where to Look
- 8.1.2. Setting Objectives: Know What You Want
- 8.1.3. Identifying Critical Enablers: Find the Key
- 8.1.4. Obtaining Referrals: Get a Foot in the Door
- 8.1.5. Developing Gestures of Progressive Reciprocity: Make It Worthwhile to Help
- 8.1.6. Making Sure You Have the Right Person
- 8.1.7. Going for the Gold: Enough Enabling; Let's Make a Deal
- 8.2. What Does It All Mean?
- 8.1. How Do You Make the Method Work?
- 9. Conclusion: USING THE RIGHT PERSON–RIGHT APPROACH METHOD TO GAIN CLARITY, CONTROL, AND CONFIDENCE
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Title: Well Connected: An Unconventional Approach to Building Genuine, Effective Business Relationships
- Release date: July 2010
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9780470577943