In just the past few years, the extended Berkeley Packet Filter (eBPF) has gone from relative obscurity to one of the hottest technology areas in modern infrastructure computing. With this report, Liz Rice dives into eBPF and explains how this framework enables networking, security, and observability tooling for modern compute environments. SREs, ops engineers, and engineering team leads will learn what eBPF is and why it's so powerful.
Rice, chief open source officer at Isovalent, shows you how to load and run custom eBPF programs within the kernel of your operating system, modifying the way the kernel behaves. You'll learn what's required to build eBPF-enabled tools, and why eBPF has become so prevalent in such a short period of time.
With this report, you will:
- Learn why the ability to dynamically change the kernel behavior is so useful, and how eBPF is a game-changer when it comes to making kernel changes
- See what's involved in writing eBPF code with a programming example to understand how the process works
- Explore an overview of eBPF-enabled tools that you can use to instrument your cloud native applications
Table of contents
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Changing the Kernel Is Hard
3. eBPF Programs
- Kernel and User Space Code
- Custom Programs Attached to Events
- eBPF Maps
- Opensnoop Example
- 4. eBPF Complexity
- 5. eBPF in Cloud Native Environments
- 6. eBPF Tools
- 7. Conclusion
- About the Author
- Title: What Is eBPF?
- Release date: April 2022
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492097259
You might also like
Practical Linux System Administration
This essential guide covers all aspects of Linux system administration, from user maintenance, backups, filesystem housekeeping, …
Practical Cloud Security
With their rapidly changing architecture and API-driven automation, cloud platforms come with unique security challenges and …
Real-World Cryptography teaches practical techniques for day-to-day work as a developer, sysadmin, or security practitioner. There’s …
WebAssembly: The Definitive Guide
WebAssembly: The Definitive Guide is a thorough and accessible introduction to one of the most transformative …