Facebook recently announced Libra, an ambitious project to bring blockchain-based cryptocurrency technology to its users around the world. This large-scale project involves a consortium of organizations in technology and finance hoping to reimagine digital finance. With this report, you’ll explore the promises and challenges Facebook and its stakeholders face as Libra approaches its expected 2020 launch.
Once it arrives, Libra could have a huge impact on finance and consumer banking. What does it mean for average people using financial services? How could Libra impact the global finance and technology sectors? Author Daniel Cawrey (Mastering Blockchain) takes you through the issues and possibilities.
- Libra will leverage blockchain, cryptocurrency, and smart contracts within Facebook’s existing platforms
- A consortium of organizations across business, technology, and nonprofits will govern Libra
- Facebook’s Calibra digital wallet will work within this ecosystem
- Libra took ideas from Bitcoin and the greater blockchain community
- The system needs to scale to billions of users if it is to work across many devices and networks
- Libra could help people with little or no access to the banking system
Table of contents
What Is Libra?
- Basics of Libra
- Facebook Calibra
- The Libra Association
- The Libra Blockchain
- Cryptocurrency Technology
- The Libra Investment Token
- Smart Contracts
- Digital Identity
- Ecommerce Potential for the Underbanked
- Possibilities for the Unbanked
- Regulatory Concerns
- Title: What Is Libra?
- Release date: November 2019
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492075165
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …