Although the cloud has revolutionized the way we manage applications, many companies still view their systems in terms of servers—even though they no longer work with physical servers. What if you take the concept of servers out of the equation and begin to think of cloud-based applications as workflow, distributed logic, and externally managed data stores? This report examines the new Serverless approach to operations, including its considerable benefits and notable limitations.
Authors Mike Roberts and John Chapin, co-founders of the Symphonia Serverless and cloud technology consultancy, take you through the Serverless landscape—particularly the design considerations, tooling, and approaches to operational management you need to make it work. Is Serverless the right choice for you and your team? Dive into this report and find out.
- Learn two major aspects of Serverless: Backend-as-a-Service and Functions-as-a-Service
- Compare Serverless application architecture with legacy non-server architecture
- Explore Serverless architecture’s five major benefits
- Understand Serverless limitations, including the drawbacks of working with the cloud
- Learn which vendor technologies are definitely, mostly, somewhat, and not-quite Serverless
- Take a peek into the future of Serverless
Table of contents
- 1. Introducing Serverless
- 2. What Do Serverless Applications Look Like?
- 3. Benefits of Serverless
- 4. Limitations of Serverless
- 5. Differentiating Serverless
- 6. Looking to the Future
- Title: What Is Serverless?
- Release date: June 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491984161
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Fundamentals of Software Architecture
Salary surveys worldwide regularly place software architect in the top 10 best jobs, yet no real …