Site Reliability Engineering is an outgrowth of the "always-on" world of online services. Initiated at Google more than a decade ago, SRE helps many of today’s sites run effectively and reliably, even as those sites continuously introduce new features. This ebook explains how site reliability engineers work with development teams to meet the fundamental customer expectation that online services can and must be reliable.
Kurt Andersen from LinkedIn and Craig Sebenik from Split explain how new and existing organizations can successfully adopt SRE processes for managing—and learning from—a host of system incidents. Complete with case studies from Google, LinkedIn, and Slack, this ebook explores SRE and provides guiding principles for implementing the role in your organization.
- Understand how your company’s culture, capabilities, and organizational structure affect the way you approach SRE
- Learn how SREs strive to maintain system components in a resilient, predictable, consistent, repeatable, and measured state
- Examine differences between SRE and other operational roles, such as DevOps and classical ops
- Learn approaches for adopting SRE in either a new or existing organization
- Explore key patterns and anti-patterns for introducing SRE in your organization
Table of contents
1. Defining “SRE”
- Digging Into the Terms in These Definitions
- Where Did SRE Come From?
- What’s the Relationship Between SRE and DevOps?
- How Do I Get My Company to “Do SRE”?
2. Understanding the SRE Role
- Distinguishing SRE from Other Operational Models
- SRE for Internal Services
- 3. Implementing SRE
- 4. Economic Trends Relating to the SRE Profession
- 5. Patterns and Antipatterns of SRE
- A. Further Reading
- Title: What Is SRE?
- Release date: June 2019
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492054412
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Organizations big and small have started to realize just how crucial system and application reliability is …
How SRE relates to DevOps
DevOps and Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) have emerged in recent years as solutions for managing operations …
Introducing Python, 2nd Edition
Easy to understand and fun to read, this updated edition of Introducing Python is ideal for …