Why are so many companies moving to the cloud? In a word, agility. Businesses need to act quickly to stay ahead of today’s global competition. The cloud provides all the services you need on demand—everything from data storage and applications to networking and greater processing power—so your business can catch, match, or outpace your competitors. With this short ebook, you’ll learn how the cloud enables you to pivot quickly when market conditions change.
Author Bill Laberis explains how the cloud follows in the footsteps of previous computing paradigms such as mainframes and client-server models. You’ll explore various cloud options and examine case studies that reveal how Airbnb, Heineken, American Airlines, Colgate-Palmolive, and Schneider Electric leverage cloud services from Amazon, IBM, and Google.
- Delve into the business case for using cloud services
- Understand the differences between the private, public, and hybrid cloud
- Examine the cloud’s payment model that lets you pay for services on an as-needed basis
- Explore cloud options such as SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, and serverless computing
- Learn about the security concerns of the public and private cloud
Table of contents
1. What Is the Cloud?
- The Cloud Is…
- Something Old, Something New
- Client–Server Era Ushers in More Resource Sharing
- Along Comes the Internet and Cheap Networks
- Different Kinds of Clouds
- The Community Cloud Model
- What Are Cloud Services?
- Case Study: Airbnb Books Room in the Cloud
- Case Study: Heineken, James Bond, and the Cloud
- Case Study: American Airlines Reroutes to the Cloud
- Case Study: Colgate-Palmolive Cloud Supercharges Collaboration
- Case Study: Schneider Uses the Cloud to Bring Electricity to the Masses
- Title: What Is the Cloud?
- Release date: February 2019
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492052906
You might also like
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
Go is rapidly becoming the preferred language for building web services. There are plenty of tutorials …
Expanded Edition (August 2018) Updated with Design Patterns episodes from the Clean Code series from Clean …
Continuous Integration vs. Continuous Delivery vs. Continuous Deployment
Continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment are key software delivery processes in a DevOps environment. …