By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
• Define competitive strategy and state its significance for managing.
• Define management and list the five traditional functions of a manager.
• Describe the relationship between strategy and the five traditional functions of a manager.
• Identify improving as a new managerial function, and improvement as a new measure of management, besides the traditional measures of effectiveness and efficiency.
• State how managerial work is affected by organizational levels, basic skills, breadth of responsibility, and roles.
Few people who are not managers know ...