Take Charge of the Relationship That Matters Most to Your Career
Your most important work relationship is with your boss. You need it to go well. But even the best bosses can be hard to read, and some seem downright inscrutable. Your boss isn’t going to change for you—don’t waste your time trying. The solution lies in figuring out what makes your boss tick and adapting your own work style to make the relationship better. But how do you do that?
In this pragmatic and accessible guide, top executive coach Steve Arneson shows how to find the answers to fifteen essential questions that will help you understand your boss’s leadership style, goals, motivations, work relationships, and how he or she sees you. Vivid real-world examples demonstrate Arneson’s advice in action and show clearly how this process can be used to gain a more meaningful, productive, and enjoyable work life.
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
STEP 1 Study Your Boss
- 1 When and how is he most approachable?
- 2 What is his preferred management style?
- 3 What behaviors does he reward?
- 4 What is he trying to accomplish in this role?
- 5 What is he worried about?
- 6 What is his reputation in the company?
- 7 Whom does he respect?
- 8 Where does he have influence?
- 9 What is his relationship like with his boss?
- 10 What is his primary motivation?
- STEP 2 Consider How Your Boss Sees You
- STEP 3 Take Responsibility for the Relationship
- About the Author
- Title: What Your Boss Really Wants from You
- Release date: May 2014
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781626560796