What is the future when more and more work can be done by intelligent machines instead of people, or only done by people in partnership with those machines? What happens to workers, and what happens to the companies that depend on their purchasing power? What's the future of business when technology-enabled networks and marketplaces are better at deploying talent than traditional companies? What's the future of education when on-demand learning outperforms traditional universities in keeping skills up to date?
In this free collection of recent blog posts, Tim O'Reilly begins a focused, high-level conversation about the deep ways in which computers and their ilk are transforming how we do business, how we work, and how we live. Just about everyone's asking WTF? ("What the F***?" but also, more charitably, "What's the future?")
Table of contents
- 1. The WTF Economy Is Transforming How We Do Business
- 2. The Rise of Networked Platforms for Physical World Services
- 3. A World of Continuous Partial Employment
- 4. “This Is Strictly a Business Decision”
- 5. 6 Things to Look for in Next Economy Companies
- 6. Escaping the Superstar Syndrome
- 7. We’ve Got This Whole Unicorn Thing All Wrong!
- 8. How On-Demand Logistics Could Save Brick-and-Mortar Retail
- 9. What Would Alexa Do?
- 10. The Game of Business: It’s Time to Rewrite the Rules
- 11. Don’t Replace People. Augment Them.
- 12. Machine Money and People Money
- 13. Work Is More than a Source of Income
- 14. Technology and Business as if People Matter
- Title: What's the Future of Work?
- Release date: October 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491943014
You might also like
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …
Kubernetes in Action
Kubernetes in Action teaches you to use Kubernetes to deploy container-based distributed applications. You'll start with …
Continuous API Management
A lot of work is required to release an API, but the effort doesn’t always pay …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …