Work isn't working.
We all love to hate our jobs. Everyone moans about the same things: we're not listened to; we're not trusted; we spend our time in pointless meetings; we're weighed down by bureaucracy; we hate our boss; we're overloaded and work saps time and energy from the rest of our lives.
It shouldn't be like this. Work ought to be, and can be meaningful and fulfilling.
In What's Wrong with Work? Blaire Palmer shows how work can change. Confronting all the big problems head-on, the book shows what you can do about each one, to make work better for you and those around you, now.
Packed with case studies and tips, What's Wrong with Work? is essential reading for the modern office.
Table of contents
- Introduction: The 5 Frustrations of Work and How to Fix them for Good
- When Work Works
1. Frustration 1: Waste-of-Time Meetings
- 1.1. THE COST OF BAD MEETINGS
- 1.2. THE PROBLEM WITH MEETINGS ...
- 1.3. WHY DO PEOPLE PUT UP WITH BAD MEETINGS?
- 1.4. WHAT KIND OF MEETINGS ARE THERE?
- 1.5. WHAT SHOULD THE GROUND RULES OF MEETINGS BE?
- 1.6. WHY DO CERTAIN PEOPLE DOMINATE AND OTHERS HOLD BACK?
- 1.7. MISSING MEETINGS
- 1.8. THE POLITICS OF MEETINGS
- 1.9. HOW TO MAKE A DECISION
- 1.10. WHAT CAN YOU DO WHEN YOU DON'T RUN THE MEETING?
- 1.11. MEETINGS – FINAL THOUGHTS
2. Frustration 2: Mis-Leadership
- 2.1. WHAT IS LEADERSHIP? AND WHAT IS MANAGEMENT?
- 2.2. WHY ARE THERE SO FEW GREAT LEADER-MANAGERS?
- 2.3. BE YOURSELF AND GET BETTER AT IT
- 2.4. UNDERSTAND WHAT DRIVES OTHER PEOPLE
- 2.5. WHAT SHOULD A LEADER-MANAGER DO ALL DAY?
- 2.6. THE ROLE OF EMOTIONS
- 2.7. MIS-LEADERSHIP – FINAL THOUGHTS
3. Frustration 3: Blurred Vision
- 3.1. WHY DO COMPANIES (AND TEAMS ... AND THEREFORE MANAGERS) NEED A DIRECTION?
- 3.2. WHAT IS A VISION?
- 3.3. VISION MINUS COMMUNICATION EQUALS DANGER
- 3.4. WHAT CAN A REAL VISION DO?
- 3.5. CAN A TEAM HAVE ITS OWN VISION, MISSION AND VALUES?
- 3.6. TEAM VISION AND THE ART OF COMMUNICATION
- 3.7. TURNING VISION INTO ACTION
- 3.8. NATURAL RESISTANCE TO CHANGE
- 3.9. BLURRED VISION – FINAL THOUGHTS
4. Frustration 4: Silo Mentality
- 4.1. WHY SILOS WORK
- 4.2. THE LOST OPPORTUNITY
- 4.3. START WHERE YOU WILL GET THE BIGGEST RETURN
- 4.4. GO TO THE SOURCE
- 4.5. CREATE AN INFLUENCE PLAN
- 4.6. END THE GOSSIP
- 4.7. CREATE OPPORTUNITIES FOR CROSS-FUNCTIONAL WORKING
- 4.8. SILO MENTALITY – FINAL THOUGHTS
5. Frustration 5: Unfairness
- 5.1. THAT'S NOT FAIR
- 5.2. BMWS
- 5.3. FAIRNESS AND GOOD BUSINESS
- 5.4. CHALLENGE WHAT IS UNFAIR
- 5.5. CHALLENGE YOUR ASSUMPTIONS
- 5.6. START SMALL
- 5.7. OVERWORKED, UNDERSTAFFED
- 5.8. UNFAIRNESS – FINAL THOUGHTS
- Final Thoughts: The Real Work
- 5.13. INTRODUCTION: THE 5 FRUSTRATIONS OF WORK AND HOW TO FIX THEM FOR GOOD
- 5.14. WHEN WORK WORKS
- 5.15. Frustration 1: WASTE-OF-TIME MEETINGS
- 5.16. Frustration 2: MIS-LEADERSHIP
- 5.17. Frustration 3: BLURRED VISION
- 5.18. Frustration 4: SILO MENTALITY
- 5.19. Frustration 5: UNFAIRNESS
- 5.20. FINAL THOUGHTS: THE REAL WORK
- About the Interviewees
- About the Author
- Title: What's Wrong with Work?: The 5 Frustrations of Work and How to Fix them for Good
- Release date: December 2010
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470660973
You might also like
The Personal Business Plan: A Blueprint for Running Your Life
Find your life ambition and plan for success! You'd never think to embark on a business …
Build vital connections to accelerate your career success Managing Up is your guide to the most …
Talk Less, Say More: Three Habits to Influence Others and Make Things Happen
Talk Less, Say More is a revolutionary guide to 21st century communication skills to help you …
English Grammar Workbook For Dummies, with Online Practice, 3rd Edition
Improve your English grammar You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using proper …