If you still use the usual carrot-and-stick methods for motivating people, don’t bother. They simply don’t work. In this engaging video workshop, Susan Fowler—consultant, coach, and top leadership researcher—introduces a tested model and course of action to help leaders guide people toward the kind of motivation that genuinely increases and sustains productivity and engagement.
Based on her popular book of the same name, and modeled on the live workshop experience Fowler brings to organizations such as Microsoft, CVS, NASA, and H&R Block, this video includes real-life examples and poignant stories to demonstrate the effectiveness of the Optimal Motivation process. You’ll get actionable advice on how to move people away from dependence on external rewards, and help them discover how their jobs can meet the deeper psychological needs for autonomy, relatedness, and competence.
This video workshop covers:
- A leader’s role in motivation, from both a leadership and self-leadership perspective
- The Spectrum of Motivation model and the six Motivational Outlooks
- Psychological Needs—the heart of the new science of motivation
- Self-Regulation and the role it plays in shifting a Motivational Outlook
- Why motivation is a skill that can be taught, learned, nurtured, and sustained
- Making shift happen through Motivational Outlook Conversations
- Rethinking five beliefs that erode workplace motivation
About the presenter:
Susan Fowler has over 30 years' experience as a researcher, consultant, and coach in more than 30 countries around the globe in the field of leadership. She’s the lead developer of The Ken Blanchard Company's Optimal Motivation program, which has been implemented worldwide.
Susan is the bestselling author of Situational Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager with Ken Blanchard and Laurence Hawkins, Achieve Leadership Genius with Drea Zigarmi and Dick Lyles, Leading at a Higher Level with Ken Blanchard, The Team Leader's Idea-a-Day Guide with Drea Zigarmi, Empowerment with Ken Blanchard, and Good Leaders, Good Shepherds with Dick Lyles.
Table of Contents
- Stop Beating Your People With Carrots 00:07:25
- From Theory to Practice: Putting the Science to Work 00:04:30
- Two Stupid Questions 00:09:59
- The Motivation Dilemma
- What Motivates People
- The Danger of Drive
Motivation is a Skill
- Motivation is a Skill 00:05:42
- Skill 1 - Identify: Step 1 - Describe Motivational Challenge 00:02:55
- Skill 1 - Identify: Step 2 - Examine Psychological Needs 00:05:20
- Skill 1 - Identify: Step 3 - Motivational Outlook 00:07:04
- Skill 2 - Shift: Step 1 00:06:03
- Skill 2 - Shift: Step 2 - Self-Regulation 00:05:47
- Skill 2 - Shift: Step 3 - Mindfulness 00:06:26
- Skill 2 - Shift: Step 3 - Align With Values 00:05:29
- Skill 2 - Shift: Step 3 - Connect to Purpose 00:10:24
- Skill 3 - Reflect 00:02:49
- Skill 3 - Reflect: Examine Well-Being Through Feelings 00:05:05
- Skill 3 - Reflect & Reframe 00:06:40
- Motivation Mini Case Study: Leader Heal Thyself 00:04:29
- Making Shift Happen
- Title: Why Motivating People Doesn't Work...and What Does
- Release date: October 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491935545