- Perspective and Issues
- Definitions of Terms
- Concepts, Rules, and Examples
Perspective and Issues
ASC 405, Liabilities, consists of four subtopics:
- ASC 405-10, Overall, which merely points to other areas of the Codification which contain guidance on liabilities
- ASC 405-20, Extinguishments of Liabilities, which provides guidance on when an entity should consider a liability settled
- ASC 405-30, Insurance-Related Assessments, which provides guidance on items such as assessments for state guaranty funds and workers' compensation second-injury funds
- ASC 405-40, Obligations Resulting from Joint and Several Liabilities, which provides guidance on arrangements where the total amount of the obligation is fixed at the reporting date.
ASC 405 provides accounting and reporting guidance related to short-term liabilities and certain guidance that may apply broadly to any liability. The Codification has several topics on liabilities, including ASC 470, Debt, and ASC 480, Distinguishing Liabilities from Equity.
Scope and Scope Exceptions
ASC 405 guidance applies to all entities with the covered transactions.
ASC 405-30 does not apply to the following:
- Amounts payable or paid as a result of reinsurance contracts or arrangements that ...