Learn how to build great Windows Store
apps! Figures and code appear as they do in Visual
In just 24 sessions of one hour or less, Sams Teach Yourself Windows 8.1 Apps with XAML and C# in 24 Hours will help you build compelling apps for Windows 8.1 devices of all kinds. Using this book’s straightforward approach, you’ll learn to design and build apps, create flexible user interfaces, handle inputs, integrate controls, and more. Step by step, you’ll discover how to leverage XAML’s visual richness and the immense power of Windows 8.1. Every lesson builds on what you’ve already learned, giving you a rock-solid foundation for real-world success!
Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through today’s most common XAML and C# development tasks.
Quizzes at the end of each chapter help you test your knowledge.
Notes present interesting information related to the discussion.
Tips offer advice or show you easier ways to perform tasks.
Cautions alert you to possible problems and give you advice on how to avoid them.
Learn how to…
Create user interfaces that adapt to any device, from tablets to high-def TVs
Handle input from touch, mouse, pen, and keyboard
Manage the entire Windows 8.1 app lifecycle and all execution states
Master powerful XAML controls for text, images, audio, video, and more
Integrate vector graphics that scale perfectly to any size
Apply rich animations
Work with styles, templates, and visual states
Exploit the Windows charms within your apps
Take full advantage of data binding and contracts
Read data from sensors and control external devices
Provide dynamic updates via live tiles, notifications, and the lock screen
Discover the many ways to monetize your Windows Store apps
Table of Contents
- About This eBook
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
Part I: Getting Started
- Hour 1. Preparing for Development
- Hour 2. Discovering the XAML Language
Part II: Building an App
- Hour 3. Arranging UI Elements
- Hour 4. Mastering Layout
- Hour 5. Handling Input: Touch, Mouse, Pen, and Keyboard
- Hour 6. Managing the App Lifecycle
- Hour 7. Threading, Windows, and Pages
Part III: Understanding Controls
- Hour 8. Content Controls
- Hour 9. Items Controls
- Hour 10. Text
- Hour 11. Images
- Hour 12. Audio, Video, and Speech
- Hour 13. Other Controls
Part IV: Leveraging the Richness of XAML
- Hour 14. Vector Graphics
- Hour 15. Animation
- Hour 16. Styles, Templates, and Visual States
- Hour 17. Data Binding
Part V: Exploiting Windows 8.1
- Hour 18. Working with Data
- Hour 19. Supporting Charms
- Hour 20. Leveraging Contracts
- Hour 21. Reading from Sensors
- Hour 22. Controlling Devices
- Hour 23. Live Tiles, Notifications, and the Lock Screen
- Hour 24. Earning Money
- Where Are the Companion Content Files?
- Title: Windows® 8.1 Apps with XAML and C# Sams Teach Yourself in 24 Hours
- Release date: May 2014
- Publisher(s): Sams
- ISBN: 9780133791648