Windows Phone 8 Recipes is a problem-solution based guide to the Windows Phone 8 platform. Recipes are grouped according to features of the platform and ways of interacting with the device. Solutions are given in C# and XAML, so you can take your existing .NET skills and apply them to this exciting new venture.
Not sure how to get started? No need to worry, there's a recipe for that!
Always wondered what it takes to add cool features like gesture support, maps integration, or speech recognition into your app? We've got it covered!
Already have a portfolio of Windows Phone 7 apps that needs to be upgraded? We have a recipe for that too!
The book starts by guiding you through the setup of your development environment, including links to useful tools and resources. Core chapters range from coding live tiles and notifications to interacting with the camera and location sensor. Later chapters cover external services including Windows Azure Mobile Services, the Live SDK, and the Microsoft Advertising SDK, so you can take your app to a professional level. Finally, you'll find out how to publish and maintain your app in the Windows Phone Store.
Whether you're migrating from Windows Phone 7 or starting from scratch, Windows Phone 8 Recipes has the code you need to bring your app idea to life.
What you'll learn
Set up your development environment with the Windows Phone 8 SDK.
Upgrade your existing Windows Phone 7 apps to Windows Phone 8.
Meet and try out the new features provided in the Windows Phone 8 SDK.
Bring your apps to life with live tiles, notifications, and cloud services.
Discover the easy steps to setting up your own Windows Phone Store account.
Learn how to submit your apps for publication to the Windows Phone Store.
Who this book is for
Windows Phone 8 Recipes is for the developer who has a .NET background, is familiar with C# and either WPF or Silverlight, and is ready to tap into a new and exciting market in mobile app development.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Authors
- About the Technical Reviewer
CHAPTER 1: Introduction to the Windows Phone SDK
- 1-1. Install the Development Tools
- 1-2. Create Your First Windows Phone 8 Application
- 1-3. Launch an App in the Windows Phone Emulator
- 1-4. Launch an App on a Windows Phone Device
- 1-5. Upgrade a Windows Phone 7.x app to Windows Phone 8
- 1-6. Become Acquainted With the Capabilities and Requirements in the Windows Phone Application Manifest
- CHAPTER 2: Multi-Resolution Support and Basic User Interface Components
- CHAPTER 3: Gestures
- CHAPTER 4: Tiles and Lock Screen
- CHAPTER 5: Background Agents and Local Notifications
- CHAPTER 6: Appointments and Contacts
- CHAPTER 7: Camera, Photos, and Media
- CHAPTER 8: Maps, Location, and Routing
- CHAPTER 9: Communications and Speech
- CHAPTER 10: Launching and Resuming Apps
- CHAPTER 11: Data Storage
- CHAPTER 12: Windows Azure Mobile Services
- CHAPTER 13: Using the Microsoft Live SDK
- CHAPTER 14: Publishing Your App
- Title: Windows Phone 8 Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach
- Release date: August 2013
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430259022
You might also like
LaTeX Beginner's Guide - Second Edition
Harness the power of LaTeX and its wide range of features to create professional-looking text, articles, …
Foundations of GTK+ Development
GTK+ is one of the most influential graphical toolkits for the Linux operating system. It is …
Practical Intrusion Analysis: Prevention and Detection for the Twenty-First Century
“ Practical Intrusion Analysis provides a solid fundamental overview of the art and science of intrusion …
Advanced Elasticsearch 7.0
Master the intricacies of Elasticsearch 7.0 and use it to create flexible and scalable search solutions …