Chapter 12: Setting Up Printers, Scanners, and Fax Machines
Xerox makes a network-attached scanner called the Xerox WorkCentre Pro Scanner.
This device installs in the same way as a directly attached scanner. When you com-
plete the installation, the scanner should be configured automatically. If it isn’t, fol-
low these steps to set the IP address for the scanner:
1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
2. In the Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound and then click Scanners and
3. In the Scanners and Cameras window, click the scanner and then click Properties.
4. On the Device Settings tab, type the hostname or IP address of the scanner and
then click OK.
Sharing Printers, Scanners, and Fax Machines
After you install printers, scanners, and fax machines, you can use the devices with
your computer. When you are printing, scanning, or faxing, all you need to do is
select the device in your application. If you want other people on your network to be
able to use printers, scanners, and fax machines you’ve installed, you can do this too.
Sharing Printers and Fax Machines
After you install a physically attached or network-attached printer or fax machine,
you can allow anyone else on your network to connect to it by sharing it. Friends and
coworkers on your network can then connect to the shared printer or fax machine.
You can share a printer or fax machine by following these steps:
1. Enable printer sharing on your computer, as discussed in the “Enabling Sharing”
section of Chapter 11.
2. Click Start and then click Control Panel. In the Control Panel, click Hardware
and Sound and then click Printers.
3. In the Printers window, right-click the printer you want to configure and then
4. On the Sharing tab, you’ll see any current sharing options. If there are no cur-
rent sharing options, all sharing options are dimmed, as shown in Figure 12-11.
Some types of fax machines cannot be shared. If this is the case with
your fax machine, this will be stated on the Sharing tab.
5. To change the sharing options, click “Change sharing options.” This opens an
editable version of the Sharing tab.