Chapter 12: Setting Up Printers, Scanners, and Fax Machines
Working with Scanners and Fax Machines
Unlike printers, scanners and fax machines use helper applications when receiving
and sending documents. The default helper application is Windows Fax and Scan.
Most scanners have a menu option that allows you to scan images to your com-
puter, to a memory card, or to an email message. With this in mind, you can scan an
image by completing the following steps:
1. Put the image you want to scan on the scanner bed.
2. Click the Scan button on the scanner. This should display a Scan menu.
3. On the Scan menu, select the appropriate scanning option, such as Scan to PC,
and then press the OK or Start button.
Managing scanned documents
You can access a scanner management window for your scanner by completing these
1. Click Start and then click Control Panel. In the Control Panel, click Hardware
and Sound and then click Printers.
2. In the Printers window, double-click the scanner you want to work with.
3. To view scans sent to the computer, click Scan in the Navigation Pane. As
shown in Figure 12-17, scans are listed by date, filename, file type, size, and
4. You can preview a scan by selecting it in the Documents list.
5. Use the following options on the toolbar to manage the scan:
Deletes the scan from the computer
Forward as Fax
Forwards the scan as a fax file
Forward as E-mail
Forwards the scan as an attachment to an email message
Saves the scan to a file on your computer
Prints the scanned document to a printer