Keeping Your Family Safe While Using Your Computer
Selecting a Game Rating System
Game rating systems, such as those used by the Entertainment Software Ratings
Board (ESRB), are meant to help protect young people from specific types of mature
content in computer games and on the Internet. You can learn more about the avail-
able rating systems and select a default rating system to use by completing these steps:
1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
2. In the Control Panel, click the User Accounts and Family Safety heading and
then click User Accounts.
3. On the User Accounts page, click “Manage another account.”
4. Click “Set up Parental Controls.”
5. In the left panel of the main Parental Controls page, click “Select a game rating
6. On the “Which games rating system do you want to use?” page, shown in
Figure 18-20, you can review the game rating systems available. The default rat-
ing system used depends on the country or region settings for your computer.
7. If you want to change the default rating system, click the rating system you want
to use. Beneath each option, you’ll find a link to the home page for the game rat-
ing organization. If you have questions about a rating system, click this link to
open the home page in Internet Explorer. You can then read about the organiza-
tion and the related rating system.
8. Click OK to apply your changes and go back to the Parental Controls page in the
Figure 18-19. Configuring parental controls